Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Golden Road Pub


I've been known as a "jack-of-all-trades-master-of-nothing" kind of guy. I'm passionate about NFL and College Football, enjoy watching a UFC or WWE Pay Per View and have been to more than my fair share of sports bars. Driving around in Glendale, I noticed a giant building that said "Brewery", but didn't think much of it.

My favorite sports team would have to be the New Orleans Saints. Tonight, they were facing the Seattle Seahawks on Monday Night Football and my friend Clay suggested I meet him up at Golden Road Pub for a nice chat and the game. I didn't make the connection until I pulled up in the parking lot. The building has loads of charm and the architecture was every bit as interesting as the menu and decor on the walls. The patio was wide open and ready for a few pints and a solid night of action.

Cleanliness : A
The outdoor patio was well maintained and the heat lamps were on full blast.

Food Quality : B-
Our waitress was attentive and great. I made the mistake of trying one of their red beers without a taster to see if I would like it. She was more than happy to switch out the beer for a nice frothy pint of their Golden Road Hefeweizen. Her recommendation of the pretzel appetizer was spot on and the pimento cheese spread was a nice alternative to the dijon mustard. This was a solid pairing with their craft beer.

The Grilled Chicken Pesto Sandwich wasn't memorable, just average. If you plan on going to this place for the food, you should reconsider. The atmosphere and sports vibe make the shortcomings of the food menu tolerable. The waitress was very helpful and friendly and a good time was had by all, even if the entree was subpar.

Atmosphere : Casual
The atmosphere was nice, except for the trains that ran by occasionally. I definitely plan on returning to Golden Road, but I think I will be opting for inside dining on my next visit. The atmosphere here is casual and laid back, a trait I crave in a sports bar.

Validation : Free Parking 
Their parking lot is a bit small, but between there and plenty of parking on the street, there was a no fuss/no muss scenario that was as refreshing as their beer.

Affordability : Appetizers = $4-12 / Entrees = $8-$12
I found the beer and food to be affordably priced and definitely worth a second trip. The pretzel appetizer, alone, was worth the trip for me. The ambience is decent, minus the occasional 15 second train drive by. You can get out of there for $20 or less on a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment